Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Story Behind Language



What are words? Well fact is that words are a combination of sounds given by a language to form a meaning. Words are so powerful, for example many words such as “Nigger” and “Spic” are words that should never be used to hurt anyone’s feeling. These words can remind a person of a time where their human rights was taken from them. We should also be thankful for the opportunity we are given such as a language. Without a language we know nothing about others. In other words, through language we can express our inner darkest secret with others. Can you picture a world with no language and, trying to explain what you’re feeling? It’s like trying to play a game of charades. Thanks to languages we are able to express anything in words.
America is filled with different type of ethnicities, and many languages. I’m here to talk about how I was introduced to Spanish and English. It all began with my birth in Dominican Republic. Even though I don’t recall how I came to know how speak Spanish, because most things as a child are somewhat blurry to me. I do know that it being my first language, I didn’t have problems learning it. As a newborn the world is a playground and it was only right for me to learn how to play in it. In other words, my brain was empty and I filled it with information. My brain acted as a sponge, it soaked up every information I was introduced to. A sponge can only hold so much liquid, until it is unable to soak up any more because it is full. The younger you are the better it’s to soaks up information.   
            I remember moving to America at the age of 3, I was young yet everything was so clear to me. I was signed up for a daycare because both of my parents where unable to look after me since they both had jobs. In this daycare I met kids who spoke English. A came home from that daycare everyday trying to speak English, and my parents where quit amused with the way I would go around the apartment saying words out loud that made no since to me what so ever. Little did I know that this language was going to be the reason why, I was given the opportunity to attend College.
            Knowing a language is only one step to being successful, next step is educating your self to a position where you can intimidate others in conversations. No one will ever take advantage of someone who can express him or her selves in a respectable way. Therefor languages are the #1 key to success.

1 comment:

  1. Your concept of language and how important it is took me to a different place, never actually thought of how important it was and how its just a way of living, which we need to become somebody depending on how its used. I like the way you explained it, its really different.

    ReplyDelete